Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

All the news....

Just 4 days...and so much happened!

We continued to learn about schema and how it helps us understand our reading. We read Patches Lost and Found and wrote our connections to the story. Then we picked one connection and wrote what it helped us to understand in the book.

We also continued to write our personal narratives. We learned about seed stories. Ask your child if they remember what a seed story was. They each received "seed planners" to use in their writing this week. I'm looking forward to reading their stories over the weekend.

We finished up Chapter 2 in math. Next week we begin learning more about place value.

And...we learned more about insects. We continued our meal worm observations. Our caterpillars are now all in the next stage: chrysalis. We also got to observe a praying mantis that Mrs. Negele brought in to share.

I will be out of the building on Monday, but, I am excited about our substitute teacher: Mrs. Haseman. She is a retired teacher from Spring Trail Elementary, where both of my daughters went to school. In fact, she had both of my daughters when they were in 3rd grade! She is a FANTASTIC teacher. So much so, that when I was in school from my masters' degree about 15 years ago (that long!!!!) I did observations in her classroom. I learned a lot! When I was a substitute teacher, I also subbed for Mrs. Haseman. Tables are turned now! So I assure you....your children are in good hands and there will be no interruption in learning!!!

Enjoy listening to Samantha, Joseph, Jacob E., and Frank read:

Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
This picture collage created with Smilebox

No comments: