Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday Tales



Simi was Child of the Day and read Falling for Rapunzel. She chose this book because it's funny and she knew we would enjoy it. Listen later on the website as she reads.

Today was one of those days I wish I had my video camera on while we were discussing our synthesis of the book Smoky Night. Gabrielle was the first to see how my thinking got bigger and bigger as I read the book. Not only was my thinking changing, but as weaved my thoughts with the ideas from the book, my synthesis got bigger. Grier pointed out that it was like the earthquake we had a few weeks ago: My first idea was the center of the earthquake, and has my ideas got bigger, it was like the shockwaves of the earthquake spreading out, bigger and bigger. What a GREAT job!

We continued taking notes on our weather topics. A few are either beginning to write or are almost there. They are really getting the idea of what is important and what is just interesting.

In math, we reviewed the hundreds chart and how we really need to have it in our minds so that we can visualize it as we add and subtract. We looked at different strategies (+10, +11, -9) and how knowing those can help us. Seniors also worked on estimating with money.

Tomorrow we have library, so don't forget to bring in your books if you haven't already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simi-
That was a great story to pick for that day. It realy made me jumpy!!!
Was the girl's name rapunzel?




your friend:
Natalie

Anonymous said...

Natalie-
Thank you for the comment. Yes, the name was Rapunzel. I can't wait to hear you read again. What book are you going to read?

Simi

Anonymous said...

simi-

I'm going to read Amelia bedelia calls the doctor. do you wont to play a game in math time? Write back soon!!!!!!!!!!


Your friend:
Natalie