Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

We're BACK! Wednesday!

What a GREAT day! What a WONDERFUL class! Thanks for sending me your BEST and BRIGHTEST....I LOVE them all!

Today, because of the awful weather, we couldn't meet on the playground, but Mr. Burger, other staff members, and parents met the students at the buses and directed them to the correct hallway. EVERYONE found their teachers and greeted their new friends without any problems!

We did an activity called "It's NOT Fair!" I chose one student randomly to tell me where he may have an "owie" or have had one, and I put it on the spot, in this case, the left arm. Then I asked each student the same question, but I put the band aid on the left arm, not where they needed it. We talked about how sometimes we have to be fair and sometimes it's fair when it isn't equal. Fair does not mean equal, but fair does mean you get what you need, when you need it. And that is how it will be in this classroom. We then made "Fair sticks" because sometimes we have to take turns so everyone gets an equal chance. To do that, I pull a "fair stick"...they decorated a Popsicle stick and wrote their name on it and I pull one to choose a student.

Haley was our child of the day and we talked about what that means and how each child will get opportunities to be child of the day. We go in ABC/numerical order. Haley also shared her ME box with us, and so did Gavin. I also shared mine.

In their Liberty Folder, which is inside their STAR Book, you will find the permission slip to post pictures on this blog and other sites. As soon as I have the permission slips back, I will post pictures. Please sign and return tomorrow.

We also learned about three cool tools: "Enjoy the Ride" for bus arrival and dismissal procedures, "Get a seat and eat" for cafeteria procedures and "Stop, Look, and Listen" for playground procedures. This is part of our PBIS showing care for self, care for others, care for our school and care for our community. We will learn tomorrow.

I also read a book called Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud. Everybody carries an "invisible" bucket and we fill each others buckets by following the 4C's, using kind words, listening, being kind, and considerate. You will hear more about this throughout the year as we all try to fill each other's buckets.

We will continue with ME boxes tomorrow. Have a GREAT night and I'll see everyone tomorrow! I can't wait!

4 comments:

K Andrews said...

Thank you Mrs. Stringham for posting the days activities. I really appreciate the extra time you take to communicate classrooms daily events. Haley loved her 1st day of first grade, especially being able to share her ME box and being child of the day. THANKS!

Mrs. Stringham said...

I LOVE being able to share all we do. I can't wait till I can put up pictures.

IsabellaS said...

Dear Mrs. Stringham,
I love being in school. It is SO much fun! I like inside recess and outside recess. That's why I like school so much.

from: isabella s

Mrs. Stringham said...

Isabella....I'm so glad you love school....I do too!!!! I can't wait until we can really start reading, writing, and math workshop! By the way....I LOVED the beautiful bow you had in your hair today! See you tomorrow!