Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday Tales

We learned a new academic vocabulary word today: responsibility. Here is the poem we read and discussed: Responsibility (source: blackford.campbellusd.org/staff/ gingerelli/poem.htm)

I am responsible for all that I do,
from turning in work, to making friends, too.

I choose if my room will be messy or clean,
I make the choice to be kind or mean.

It is up to me just how much I will learn,
the grades that I get will be the grades that I earn.

I make the choice to be happy or sad,
to have a good day or have one that is bad.

So now I will choose what is best for me,
I am responsible, I hold the key!

We also worked on our word wall words. Yesterday I sent home directions to spellingcity.com. Keep these directions in your important papers from school part of the STAR book. You can also access spelling city by clicking on the icon on the right of this post.

In readers' workshop we learned a new strategy of back up and reread. When we get to a tricky word, we reread the sentence first. Or if we don't understand, we go back and reread. We also learned about how to discuss our thinking by turning Knee to Knee and Eye to Eye and talking with a partner.

During our share time we discussed what we learned about ourselves as readers:





As you can see from the pictures we sit in a circle and have a conversation. We are learning from each other.

Students were also given their math tool boxes today. They know they are responsible for their tools. Then, after library, we played addition top it and Domino One More/One Less.

Tomorrow we have P.E. and music, so wear appropriate shoes or have a pair here.

No comments: