Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wonderful Wednesday!

We continued to work on reading stamina as we slowly move into our daily schedules. We begin the morning with our morning meeting where we talk about the books we are reading or are being read to us. We review our classroom promise, then we begin our word work time. Right now, I'm assessing their ability to spell the Kindergarten "No Excuses" words. ALL students should be able to spell those fluently. This will guide my instruction.

Next we have readers workshop. Today we watched a power point on picking a just right book. We learned the acronym: I PICK:

I choose a book.
Purpose: Why do I want to read it?
Interest: Does it interest me?
Comprehend: Do I understand what I'm reading?
Know: I know most of the words.

We also reviewed the strategy of cross-checking.

In writers' workshop we are learning about the writing process. Writing instruction will become more focused after we finish the ME boxes.

During math, we working on the calendar. This will become the job of the Child of the day, so right now I'm modeling what they have to do. The rest of the class will have a book called: Daily Number Review. I'm also modeling how they complete this as well. It will be a little while before all can do both of these independently.

We also worked on a Name Glyph. A glyph is a picture of information following certain rules based on the student answering questions. We will review these tomorrow.

Klara, Sahithi, and Jacob really GLOWED today! Ask them what they did!

If you came to the open house in August you do not have to come tonight unless you want to meet the PTO or you have students in another classroom. Tonight is primary next week is intermediate.

There is a field trip permission slip in the Liberty folder; please sign and return tomorrow or no later than Tuesday, Sept. 8. There is also information regarding the 4C's Behavior Matrix in the Important Class Information section. This is for your review and then leave in the binder.

Have a GREAT night!

No comments: