Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

Tales from Monday

We continued to work on our ABC books. We read the book, The Z Was Zapped by Chris Van Allsburg and took a look at how he organized his book. Alisha and Natalie finished their ABC Books and they were so GREAT, I had to send them to the office!!!! They got to read their books to Mr. Burger! We will hang their books outside our classroom for everyone to read, plus, we will be working to put it on PhotoStory, where you will be able to see her writing and illustrations, and hear them read. Great job, ladies!

In reading, we learned that good readers take a picture walk before they begin a book, activating their schema. (Schema: what you know) I read The Little Yellow Chickens House and modeled how it connected to what I knew about the book, The Little Red Hen.

I also began small group/guided reading groups today. When students meet with me in a reading group, after reading with me, they take the book home. They have to read it at least three times either to three different people or three times to the same person. The listener then listens as the student retells the story. Sometimes, they have additional work to do. There is a sheet with the book where I indicate what must be done. Please ask your child if they have a book to read to you. It must be returned the next day.

In math, first graders worked on understanding the calendar and second graders worked on patterns in the hundreds chart. You will hear me talk about the hundreds chart quite a bit. They should be able to "picture" the number chart in their mind at any time. This is for number sense and mental math.

Tuesday is library day. Be sure and remind your child to return their books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was alarmed at first when Natalie said she was sent to the principals office...then she started laughing and then told me about her ABC book...It makes me happy that she is so into her writing..she writes at home ALL THE TIME!-Traci Taylor