Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Joy of Reading!

I am going to dispense with my usual post (although scroll down for Bela's pictures!) and challenge all parents to help their child find the Joy in Reading!!!!

I can quote research that shows reading is the number one way to improve student achievement. It will increase vocabulary....develop thinkers...and more. But, here is my personal reason. Because it's fun!

Why do I read? I LOVE it! There is nothing I like better than sitting down with a book and being transported to another world....another time...another place. In my bedroom I have a 6 shelf bookcase of books waiting for me to read. By my bed, my current book and the one to read next. My home is full of books. My daughters are readers....my husband is a reader. You won't find us without a book. When we pack for trips, we pack our books to read as well. Is there a DVD in our car for long trips...nope...we take a book to read. We are Barnes and Noble's best customers. We are on a first name basis with the library. I put books on hold and when we walk in the library, they no longer ask our names....they just get out the reserved book.

I read everything. I have my favorite genre's...favorite authors. I've traveled the world through my books. I keep up to date on research in reading, writing, math, instruction and I read for just plain old enjoyment!

How did I become such a reader? My parents. Plain and simple. Did I have the latest toy on the market...no. I had plenty to play with and I used my imagination. My imagination was developed as I read more and more. If I went to the store with my parents I could count on getting a book....not a toy. They told me I would have to wait for my birthday or the holidays for a toy...but a book...sure. Some of my favorite memories are going to the library. My dad would drop me off at the library then go pick my mother up at work. They would then both pick me up at the library and talk about the books I chose. I was part of the library's summer reading clubs every summer. Book orders from school were highly anticipated events at my house. My parents instilled this love of reading in myself and my 2 brothers. We are all still great readers to this day.

I challenge you to turn off the TV...turn off those video games and read! Make reading a priority in your house. Don't bring hand held games to play with while waiting....tell your child to bring a book. I am challenging the students to turn off the video games this 3 day weekend and read. I'm looking forward to hearing about their reading on Monday.

Make reading a priority. It is the GREATEST gift you can give your child.

And now....here's a GREAT reader, Bela. Thanks for reading to us today, Bela! You read with such fluency and expression!




Now...curl up with a GREAT book and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your post about reading...I couldn't agree more! We did spend time at the library this weekend and time reading. Bradley even read more of the book he's been reading with his Aunt Judy. I, too, hope our children will grow up to be avid readers and read simply because they love it! Thanks for encouraging such a worthwhile endeavor!
Jodie Scaminaci

Mrs. Stringham said...

There's nothing better than reading! I was running late for work today because I was reading a GREAT book and couldn't put it down!
Mrs. Stringham