Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thrilling Tuesday!

Leighton was our child of the day and did a wonderful job reading Super Fly Guy! It was very funny! Thanks, Leighton. Enjoy the video.







Well....the day came. I had to send TWO students to the office to see the principal. Tsk...Tsk....NOT!!!!!

Isabella and Neha were "sent" to the principal to READ their stories. Here's Isabella's:

Dancing
Hi! My name is Isabella. I like to dance. I love dancing. Dancing is what I do! I dance every day. My favorite show is called Dancing with the Stars. That's my life. What's yours like?

Isn't that GREAT voice? CONGRATULATIONS, Isabella!

Here's another 1st grade students story. I'm sure you will be able to picture it all:

My brother and I found a pumpkin in the pumpkin patch and brought it home for Halloween. It seemed like an ordinary pumpkin at first. But after we carved a scary face onto it, we discovered that it was far from ordinary...

(that was the prompt...here's her story:)

It was alive! We dashed out the door before the pumpkin could get us. Suddenly, we saw our mom. "Mom, Mom!" we cried. There is an alive pumpkin on the loose. Mom did not believe the kids, but when she arrived home, she saw the pumpkin and she screamed, "AHHHH...the pumpkin is alive!"

Then she fainted. She was afraid of fainting, so she woke up. Suddenly, the two kids came in with a knife and cut the pumpkin right through the middle. And that, was the end of the pumpkin!

What a GREAT example of SHOWING...not telling. Congratulations, Neha!!!

I RARELY give students a prompt, but occasionally, to teach them how to respond to a prompt, it is okay.

In reading, we learned that writers ALL have schema, but it is different schema. In writing we learned about zooming in on small moments to write. We will learn more about this tomorrow.

Math was spent graphing and analyzing data. Students had "DEM BONES" candy they sorted and created graphs for. They also created graphs for last week's blog survey. Here are a few pictures:








Some of the students may not have finished and they may do so tonight and return it to school tomorrow.

Have a GREAT night and don't forget to READ....READ....READ!!!

No comments: