Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday Wonders!

Elsa was very surprised this morning when her mother came in as our Mystery Reader! She read Mr. Gumpy's outing...what wonderful vocabulary! I LOVED the book and so did the kids! Thanks!







Chris did a GREAT job reading Spiders to the class. I loved how he introduced the book by identifying the genre (non fiction) and that we would learn many interesting facts about spiders! Enjoy the video!





In readers workshop we learned that Reading is about Thinking. We previously learned that our brains our busy thinking all the time. I compared REAL READING to a pizza: reading the words is the crust and I had a round, brown, pizza shaped piece of construction paper (the crust) representing the words. But, then while I was reading, stopping to check my understanding and think about what was happening in the book, I added the pizza toppings (small pieces of red, green, and yellow construction paper) every time I stopped and shared my thinking. When I was done I asked what there was more of: the crust or the toppings? The answer: the toppings...the thinking!

We watched a PowerPoint presentation about the European explorers who came after Columbus. We read a book about John Cabot, an explorer from England who was the 1st to establish an English presence here.

After library, 1st graders worked on on telling time to the hour. 2nd graders played the Broken Calculator Game as they worked on fact fluency.

Tomorrow we have art. Have a GREAT night and don't forget to READ....READ...READ...READ....

No comments: