Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday Fun!


First...here's the promised picture of Chris (SORRY!!!) He read The Little Red Hen and did a great job reading with fluency and with comprehension. He chose this book because he thought we could all learn from it. And we did!!!! Thanks, Chris!




Kendall was our Child of the Day today and she read Sally and the Daisy. She did a great job reading with fluency and using inflection in her voice. Keep up the GREAT reading!

We continued to work on our Slice of Life Stories. I read A Father Like That by Charlotte Zolotow. We were able to make connections to the main characters dream of what he would like his father to be like and to our own fathers. We realized we could write stories about our fathers and mothers.

In reading we continue to work on schema and making deep connections. I read, Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild by Mem Fox, modeling where I made connections. We discussed how it was when my thinking really became "loud" was when I made the deepest connections. We'll continue with this next week.

In math we made a scarecrow glyph. Next week we will anazlye them and create a graph.

But the ABSOLUTELY BEST PART of the day for me as a teacher was when I sat in with a literature circle comprised of Natalie, Grier, Alisha and Simi. They had read the book The Pain and The Great One and had their post its with their connections. I facilitated (didn't do much!) their conversation. They were piggybacking on each other, helping each other....everything you want to hear as a teacher. Just like I taught them! They did such a GREAT job, I had them model their thinking and conversation for the class. They sat in the middle of our circle and duplicated their discussion. It was FANTASTIC!

I asked the class what they noticed about their thinking...their language. Mashal caught on first that Grier had said she was "confused by" one particular part and that Natalie, Alisha, and Simi, said in turn, "I can help you with that...". They were making DEEP connections and truly comprehending the book. I only wish I had my video camera, but here are some pictures:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was amazed how Alisha, Simi, Grier, and Natalie worked as a team.
Good work girls!
Keep it up.......

Saeed (aka, Alisha's Dad)

Anonymous said...

I was volunteering for picture day today and saw the same group of girls surrounding mrs. stringhams desk and again they had their own book talk going on! They are such a great group of girls. Thanks for posting Mrs. Stringham. Natalie tells me all this stuff but it is good to hear it from you too!
Traci (Natalie's Mom)